What a Busy Week at Wilmot
Fifth graders entertained us with an amazing music concert and art fair. Students sang, waltzed and rapped in their production titled, Compose Yourself. Congratulations to Mrs. Loda and the fabulous fifth grade class!
Throughout the week students participated in the Hour of Code. Here is a link to coding activities for students of all ages and levels of experience that you and your family might enjoy. Today some third graders helped their kindergarten buddies learn to code. Fourth and Fifth graders participated in a special coding activity with computer science students from Deerfield High School.
Team Give – Session 2
This is your child’s chance to join the 2nd session of TEAM GIVE, our Wilmot philanthropy club. This is a new student club offered to 2nd-5th graders focusing on giving back to our community and our school. Club members will meet monthly on Thursdays during the lunch hour in Room 20 – Ms. Schmidt’s Classroom.
Click here for more information and to sign up for Team Give. Space is limited to 40 members.
Inclement Weather Guideline and Information
In making the decision to have an inside or outside arrival and recess many factors are considered, including the temperature and the windchill. We will go outside if it is 20 degrees or higher and at or above 15 degrees with the windchill. The decision to go outside is often made right before recess, and therefore, we request that all students are prepared to go outside each and every day. Please send students with the proper clothing (labeled with your child’s name) including a coat, hat, gloves, boots, snow pants etc.
Parking Lot Procedures
We need your cooperation and support of our parking lot, drop off and pick up procedures. Our procedures and rules apply to everyone and are put into place for the safety of our children. Students are to be dropped off and picked up in the west lot only. A staff member will be at the GMA door each day until at least 8:40 (later on severe weather days). All cars must pull as far north (forward) in the west lot as possible. Children may enter the building through the nearest door, including the front doors, gym doors or GMA doors and walk inside to their lineup location (K-2: GMA and 3-5: Gym). Our staff will be on hand to assist students. Stopping along the primary playground fence or near the GMA doors creates a dangerous situation as cars back up onto Wilmot Rd. Our students are aware of these rules. Disregard for these rules sends a terrible message to our children and creates a potentially unsafe situation. Your patience and support are appreciated!
Parent Survey: Please Share Your Thoughts About Wilmot
Beginning November 16, students, teachers and parents across Illinois will have an opportunity to participate in the fourth annual statewide Illinois 5Essentials Survey. Districts are required by the state to administer the survey every other year; this year, District 109 is participating, and asking parents to share their thoughts on the important elements of school effectiveness.
The MAP testing window for all students K-5 will run from Monday, December 5 – Friday, December 16. Your child’s teacher should communicate the exact dates when students will take the math and reading assessments. It is very important that you let your child’s teacher know if you will absent during this time.
The Student Council is sponsoring the following spirit days. Students are encouraged to join in the fun. If students prefer they are always encouraged to wear spirit wear or blue and white on Fridays.
- Friday, December 16 – Neon Day
- Friday, January 6 – Black and White Day
- Friday, January 20 – College Day
Wilmot PTO News
- Thanks to everyone who came out and supported our Barnes and Noble Fundraiser.
- Mark your calendars – our annual BINGO Night will be held on Friday, February 24.
- Monday, December 5 – Friday, December 16 – MAP testing Window (K-5)
- Monday, December 12 – Wednesday, December 14 – PTO Holiday Shop
- Tuesday, December 13 – District Orchestra Concert – SMS, 7:00 pm
- Friday, December 16 – Last day before winter break. We will have our first PAWS assembly in the morning. Holiday parties will be held in the afternoon.
- Tuesday January 3 – School Resumes
- Thursday, January 12 – Band concert for 4th and 5th grade students at Caruso Middle School.
- Monday, January 16 – No School In recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Wednesday, January 18 – Wilmot Spelling Bee for finalists from 4th and 5th grades – 12:50
- Monday, February 20 – No School in recognition of Presidents’ Day
- Thursday, February 23 – 2nd and 4th Grade music concerts and art show – times TBD
- Friday, February 24 – PTO BINGO Night