What A Busy Week at Wilmot – More Career Awareness Activities
We had another amazing week at Wilmot learning about careers and helping students build dreams for their future.
Kindergarten students had a visit from Mrs. Spector, a veterinarian and Wilmot mom. Students learned how to care for pets at home and also learned about different areas of veterinary medicine. These areas included: vets who work with farm animals, vets who work with the armed services, zoo vets, vets who work with rescue animals as well as vets who take care of house pets. Mrs. Spector shared information about the tools used by veterinarians that help them care for animals (such as x-ray machines and ultrasounds). Finally, student learned about the school required to become a veterinarian and the important role of STEM education.
Fifth graders were excited to learn about and experience the legislative process on Friday, with State Representative, Scott Drury. Representative Drury taught the students how a bill becomes a law. The fifth graders then came up with ideas for bills that related to the length of the school week and school year. Students enjoyed participating in a friendly debate on these topics, to determine whether or not their bills should become laws.
Wilmot Elementary School News (WESN) (2nd posting)
Check out the latest edition of WESN. Click on this link: https://vimeo.com/208868873
Goals and Concerns Form (1st posting)
Click here to find the 2017-2018 Goals and Concerns Form. This is an optional form parents may use to communicate information for consideration when we make class placements for the 2017-2018 school year. The placement process is long and involved and our staff puts a great deal of time into making class placements that best meet the needs of all students. If you have specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. All forms are due by Friday, April 21.
PARCC (ongoing posting)
PARCC testing will take place in April for 3d – 5th grade students. Click here to see a copy of the PARCC testing schedule for each grade.
District 109 Show Choir Info for 5th-7th Grade Families
Mark your calendars for the following Pizazz and Charisma open house and audition events: Open House: Wednesday, April 12, 6:30-7:45 pm, Caruso Auditorium. All interested 5th, 6th, and 7th grade students and families are welcome.
- Tuesday, May 2, 3:15-4:45pm, Caruso Auditorium (5th grade students, arrive as you are able to make it over; the clinic will officially begin at 3:45)
- Wednesday, May 3, 3:15-4:45pm, Shepard Lunch Room (5th grade students, arrive as you are able to make it over; the clinic will officially begin at 3:45)
- Thursday, May 4: 6-7th grade, Caruso Lunchroom, 3:15-5:15pm
- Friday, May 5: 6-7th grade, Shepard Lunchroom/Choir Room 408, 3:15-5:15pm
- Monday, May 8: 5th grade, Caruso Auditorium, 3:15-5:15pm
Complete the audition form before May 2. Visit the show choir website for complete information. If you have any questions, please contact co-director Christine Wells (email@example.com).
Student Council Meetings
- April 10
- May 8
- June 5 (all representatives and alternates)
Wilmot Innovation Nights(s) (ongoing posting)
As shared previously we are going to change the look and feel of our traditional showcase evening. In order to accommodate all grade level programs and the large number of visitors, we will hold our Wilmot Innovation Night(s) over two evenings in May. Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade families will join us on Thursday, May 11. Families of 1st, 4th and 5th graders will attend on Tuesday, May 16. These evenings will replace the showcase night previously scheduled for April 20.
Wilmot PTO News
Spring session for after school enrichment begins April 10
- Monday, March 27 – Friday, March 31 – Spring Break – School resumes on Monday, April 3
- Monday, April 10 – Friday, April 28, 2017 – PARCC Testing for students in grades 3rd – 5th
- Tuesday, April 11 – PTO meeting – 1:30
- Friday, April 14 – No school due to Good Friday