What A Busy Week at Wilmot
This was a busy first week back to school. 4th & 5th grade TAP students attended a field trip to Northern Illinois University on Wednesday. These students participated in a program called Stem Read. Students engaged in several different activities based on the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis. These activities included skills that required collaboration, critical thinking, and problem solving. Two of the activities required students to build a levy to save their lab from hurricane waters. They were so engaged! To end the day, author Lauren Tarshis spoke to the group about her I Survived series. She discussed her writing process, the lengths she goes to when she researches her books, and the difficulties she encountered as a student learning to read. It was a wonderful day!
Today we had our 2nd P.A.W.S. assembly. Thanks to Hannah and Jake for leading this program. Students paired off with their buddies and participated in a game show, playing Hot Potato, to practice the P.A.W.S. principles. Many students earned prizes and everyone had a lot of fun. Students are now earning paws for our final P.A.W.S assembly which we will hold at the end of the year.
Goals and Concerns Form (2nd posting)
Click here to find the 2017-2018 Goals and Concerns Form. This is an optional form parents may use to communicate information for consideration when we make class placements for the 2017-2018 school year. The placement process is long and involved and our staff puts a great deal of time into making class placements that best meet the needs of all students. If you have specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. All forms are due by Friday, April 21.
PARCC (ongoing posting)
PARCC testing will begin next week for 3d – 5th grade students. Click here to see a copy of the PARCC testing schedule for each grade.
Meet our Spanish Long Term Substitute
As many of you know Mrs. Grum will start her maternity leave next neek. I am excited to introduce Señorita Kayne, who will serve as our Spanish long term for the remainder of this school year. Click here to learn more about Señorita Kayne.
District 109 Show Choir Info for 5th-7th Grade Families
Mark your calendars for the following Pizazz and Charisma open house and audition events: Open House: Wednesday, April 12, 6:30-7:45 pm, Caruso Auditorium. All interested 5th, 6th, and 7th grade students and families are welcome.
- Tuesday, May 2, 3:15-4:45pm, Caruso Auditorium (5th grade students, arrive as you are able to make it over; the clinic will officially begin at 3:45)
- Wednesday, May 3, 3:15-4:45pm, Shepard Lunch Room (5th grade students, arrive as you are able to make it over; the clinic will officially begin at 3:45)
- Thursday, May 4: 6-7th grade, Caruso Lunchroom, 3:15-5:15pm
- Friday, May 5: 6-7th grade, Shepard Lunchroom/Choir Room 408, 3:15-5:15pm
- Monday, May 8: 5th grade, Caruso Auditorium, 3:15-5:15pm
Complete the audition form before May 2. Visit the show choir website for complete information. If you have any questions, please contact co-director Christine Wells (email@example.com).
Student Council Meetings
- April 10
- May 8
- June 5 (all representatives and alternates)
Wilmot Innovation Nights(s) (ongoing posting)
As shared previously we are going to change the look and feel of our traditional showcase evening. In order to accommodate all grade level programs and the large number of visitors, we will hold our Wilmot Innovation Night(s) over two evenings in May. Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade families will join us on Thursday, May 11. Families of 1st, 4th and 5th graders will attend on Tuesday, May 16. These evenings will replace the showcase night previously scheduled for April 20.
Wilmot PTO News
Spring session for after school enrichment begins on Monday, April 10
Wilmot Philanthropy Club (from Ms. Schmidt)
The Wilmot Philanthropy Club has been very successful this year as we work to give back to the community. Team Give has helped organize school events throughout the year, roughly one event each month. We created marketing materials to help promote events, participated in arts and crafts projects that support charities, collected and sorted donated items, made school announcements, and much more. Please visit our website below for more information!
- Monday, April 10 – Friday, April 28, 2017 – PARCC Testing for students in grades 3rd – 5th
- Tuesday, April 11 – PTO meeting – 1:30
- Thursday, April 13 – 5th grade trip to the Art Institute
- Friday, April 14 – No school due to Good Friday
- Friday, April 21 – Goals and Concerns Forms are Due
- Monday, April 24 – Board of Education meeting – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 26 – 5th grade parent orientation evening at Caruso – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, April 27 – 5th grade trip to the Lake County Courthouse
- Tuesday, May 2 – Band/Orchestra Concert at Wilmot – 9:00 am
- Thursday, May 4 – Band concert 7:00 at Caruso
- Friday, May 5 – Kindergarten Round Up – all day
- Tuesday, May 9 – 5th graders visit Caruso – pm
- Tuesday, May 9 – PTO meeting – 1:30
- Wednesday, May 10 – Bike and Walk to School Day
- Wednesday, May 10 – Spring orchestra concert – at SMS -7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 11th – Author Doreen Cronin visit for 4th & 5th grade. 1:30
- Thursday, May 11th -Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Rosheger & Wolff)
- Thursday, May 11th -Kindy, 2nd and 3rd grade- Innovation Night
- Friday, May 12 – Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Epstein & Whelan)
- Friday, May 12 – South Park/Wilmot 5th grade social mixer at CMS – 6:00 pm
- Monday, May 15 – BOE meeting at 7:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 16 – 1st, 4th and 5th grade Innovation Night
- Tuesday, May 16 – 3rd grade instrumental music parent recruitment evening