What A Busy Week at Wilmot
Check out the latest edition of Wilmot Elementary School News, produced by our 5th grade TAP ELA kids. Among other stories of interest you will learn about how we are using our new Buddy Benches. Click this link: https://vimeo.com/213128356
Yesterday fifth graders went to the Art Institute here’s what Mrs.Dubin has to say about the trip: 5th graders had a blast when we went to Chicago’s Art Institute yesterday! Students went on a docent-led tour called “Clues from the past” and later, students went with smaller groups on a choice-based tour. 5th graders were so excited to see the famous works of art they had learned about in school such as Paris Street Rainy Day, Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte, The Old Guitarist, Nighthawks, The Child’s Bath and TONS more!!! Favorites also included the Thorne Miniature Rooms and the new armor galleries called Saints and Heroes. At the end of the day, everyone was given a free, one-day family pass to the Art Institute. How cool is that?! Now, our 5th grade artists can be docents for their families!
Wilmot Innovation Nights(s) (ongoing posting)
As shared previously we are going to change the look and feel of our traditional showcase evening. In order to accommodate all grade level programs and the large number of visitors, we will hold our Wilmot Innovation Night(s) over two evenings in May. Click here for more information regarding the Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade evening which will be held on Thursday, May 11. Families of 1st, 4th and 5th graders will attend on Tuesday, May 16. Click here for information about the May 16 event. These evenings will replace the showcase night previously scheduled for April 20.
Goals and Concerns Form (3rd posting)
Click here to find the 2017-2018 Goals and Concerns Form. This is an optional form parents may use to communicate information for consideration when we make class placements for the 2017-2018 school year. The placement process is long and involved and our staff puts a great deal of time into making class placements that best meet the needs of all students. If you have specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. All forms are due by Friday, April 21.
PARCC (ongoing posting)
PARCC testing will begin next week for 3d – 5th grade students. Click here to see a copy of the PARCC testing schedule for each grade.
Destination Imagination (DI)
Congratulations to the four Wilmot DI teams (Fantastic 7, IncreDIbles, Team of Tomorrow, and #savethepolarbears) for advancing to the DI Global competition this May in Knoxville, TN.
Support our DI students by attending a Potbelly Fundraiser on Wednesday, April 19
Support District 109’s SEVENTEEN DI teams that earned invitations to GLOBAL FINALS at the University of Tennessee in May, just by eating dinner at Potbelly! Dine in or carry out – no flier needed!
Wednesday, April 19 | 5-8pm
Potbelly in Deerfield Square, 740 Waukegan Rd.
25% of all proceeds will go to District 109 DI teams to offset their expenses to represent their schools and our District at Global Finals.
Meet our Spanish Long Term Substitute (2nd posting)
As many of you know Mrs. Grum will start her maternity leave next neek. I am excited to introduce Señorita Kayne, who will serve as our Spanish long term for the remainder of this school year. Click here to learn more about Señorita Kayne.
Student Council Meetings
- May 8
- June 5 (all representatives and alternates)
Wilmot PTO News
As you get ready for spring cleaning, save your old shoes. For the 3rd year in a row, we will be working with Stuff for the Poor to collect used shoes in any condition and any size. They will be sent to Africa and be sold to help raise money for school supplies and school fees for orphan children. Stuff for the Poor is an inspiring organization, and you can learn all about them at www.stuffforthepoor.org. We will be collecting the shoes from April 17 – April 21, and through this seemingly small and simple act, we can continue to teach our children the value of doing good deeds and helping people all around the world
Wilmot Philanthropy Club (from Ms. Schmidt) (2nd posting)
The Wilmot Philanthropy Club has been very successful this year as we work to give back to the community. Team Give has helped organize school events throughout the year, roughly one event each month. We created marketing materials to help promote events, participated in arts and crafts projects that support charities, collected and sorted donated items, made school announcements, and much more. Please visit our website below for more information!
- Friday, April 14 – No school due to Good Friday
- Friday, April 21 – Goals and Concerns Forms are Due
- Monday, April 24 – Board of Education meeting – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 26 – 5th grade parent orientation evening at Caruso – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, April 27 – 5th grade trip to the Lake County Courthouse
- Tuesday, May 2 – Band/Orchestra Concert at Wilmot – 9:00 am
- Thursday, May 4 – Band concert 7:00 at Caruso
- Friday, May 5 – Kindergarten Round Up – all day
- Tuesday, May 9 – 5th graders visit Caruso – pm
- Tuesday, May 9 – PTO meeting – 1:30
- Wednesday, May 10 – Bike and Walk to School Day
- Wednesday, May 10 – Spring orchestra concert – at SMS -7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 11th – Author Doreen Cronin visit for 4th & 5th grade. 1:30
- Thursday, May 11th -Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Rosheger & Wolff)
- Thursday, May 11th -Kindy, 2nd and 3rd grade- Innovation Night
- Friday, May 12 – Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Epstein & Whelan)
- Friday, May 12 – South Park/Wilmot 5th grade social mixer at CMS – 6:00 pm
- Monday, May 15 – BOE meeting at 7:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 16 – 1st, 4th and 5th grade Innovation Night
- Tuesday, May 16 – 3rd grade instrumental music parent recruitment evening