The Wilmot Word: 4-21-17http://wilmot.dps109.org/wp-content/themes/osmosis/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Eileen Brett Eileen Brett http://2.gravatar.com/avatar/ee4f7c453e90923f1b99b948dbe0ea0d?s=96&d=mm&r=g
What A Busy Week at Wilmot
Wilmot celebrates Earth Week. The Deerfield Sustainability Commission has worked with our Green Committee chairs (Mrs. Miltimore and Mrs. Dubin) as well as all D109 schools to support a green community. Use these links to help spread the word about energy conservation and sustainability: The Home Energy Game and The Home Energy Survey. Please also think about sharing your Earth Week activities on Twitter with the hashtags: #GreenUpDeerfield #wilmot109 #engage109 ! #GreenUpWilmot.
Mrs. Miltimore’s students spent time this week cleaning and caring for Clarissa’s Prairie. Thank you for taking care of our environment.
Josh’s On the Square – Student Council Eat and Earn (Monday Night – April 24)
- Josh will donate 10% of all sales made by Wilmot families and their friends to our student council, between the hours of 4:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- There will be a DJ from 5:00 – 7:00 pm to help us make this a fun night for Wilmot students and their families.
Wilmot Innovation Nights(s) (ongoing posting)
As shared previously we are going to change the look and feel of our traditional showcase evening. In order to accommodate all grade level programs and the large number of visitors, we will hold our Wilmot Innovation Night(s) over two evenings in May. Click here for more information regarding the Kindergarten, 2nd and 3rd grade evening which will be held on Thursday, May 11. Families of 1st, 4th and 5th graders will attend on Tuesday, May 16. Click here for information about the May 16 event.
In addition to our classroom teachers specials and support staff will be available for visits each evening. The following staff will be present on either May 11 or May 16.
Music – Mrs. Loda, Spanish – Ms. Kayne, LMC – Ms. Lathan, ELL – Mrs. Simon, Resource – Ms. Shlensky, Instructional Coach – Mrs. Hoyt, TAP – Ms. Kinley, School Psychologist – Mrs. Novak, Speech and Language – Ms. ross
PE – Mr. Tallidis, Art – Mrs. Dubin, TAP – Ms. Kinley, Instructional Coach -Ms. Schafer, Resource – Mrs. LoSavio, Resource – Mrs. Reedy, School Social Worker – Mrs. Pettinger, Speech and Language – Mrs. Smith, Interventionist – Mrs. Zwirn, LMC – Ms. Lathan
Goals and Concerns Form (final posting) – DUE TODAY
Click here to find the 2017-2018 Goals and Concerns Form. This is an optional form parents may use to communicate information for consideration when we make class placements for the 2017-2018 school year. The placement process is long and involved and our staff puts a great deal of time into making class placements that best meet the needs of all students. If you have specific questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. All forms are due today Friday, April 21.
The Wilmot Talent Show is Back
Get ready for our annual Wilmot talent show. Ms. Rallis will again coordinate the talent show for students in 2nd – 5th grades. The talent show is a fun way for students to perform for their friends and family. In the past we have had some challenges as students form groups to perform with. We need to work together and view this as an opportunity to teach our boys and girls the importance of being inclusive. Click here for more information about the talent show.
Field Day (1st posting)
Field Day is scheduled for Friday, June 2nd. This is a full-day event involving outdoor
activities that will be split into two parts (K-2 in the morning from 9:00-11:10 and 3-5 in the afternoon from 1:00-3:15). Each grade will be wearing their class T-shirt to demonstrate their Wilmot Pride! Lunch will occur at their normal times. Students will eat their previously ordered “Fun Lunch” or a sack lunch from home. In addition, we are in need of parent volunteers. Please email mr. Tallidis at: firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help out.
Teacher Appreciation Week
Let’s celebrate our wonderful teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week – May 8-12.
Student Council Meetings
- May 8
- June 5 (all representatives and alternates)
Wilmot PTO News
Thanks to the Wilmot community for donating so many shoes for our shoe drive!
Wilmot Philanthropy Club (from Ms. Schmidt)
The Wilmot Philanthropy Club has been very successful this year as we work to give back to the community. Team Give has helped organize school events throughout the year, roughly one event each month. We created marketing materials to help promote events, participated in arts and crafts projects that support charities, collected and sorted donated items, made school announcements, and much more. Please visit our website below for more information!
- Friday, April 21 – Goals and Concerns Forms are Due
- Monday, April 24 – Board of Education meeting – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, April 26 – 5th grade parent orientation evening at Caruso – 7:00 pm
- Thursday, April 27 – 5th grade trip to the Lake County Courthouse
- Tuesday, May 2 – Band/Orchestra Concert at Wilmot – 9:00 am
- Thursday, May 4 – Band concert 7:00 at Caruso
- Friday, May 5 – Kindergarten Round Up – all day
- Tuesday, May 9
- 5th graders visit Caruso – pm
- PTO meeting – 1:30
- Wednesday, May 10
- Bike and Walk to School Day
- Spring orchestra concert – at SMS -7:00 pm
- Thursday, May 11th
- Author Doreen Cronin visit for 4th & 5th grade. 1:30
- Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Rosheger & Wolff)
- Kindy, 2nd and 3rd grade- Innovation Night
- Friday, May 12
- Kindy AM field trip to Wagner Farm (Epstein & Whelan)
- South Park/Wilmot 5th grade social mixer at CMS – 6:00 pm
- Monday, May 15 – BOE meeting at 7:00 pm
- Tuesday, May 16
- 1st, 4th and 5th grade Innovation Night
- 3rd grade instrumental music parent recruitment evening
- Tuesday, May 23 – Philanthropy Fair – 3:30 – 5:00
- Thursday, May 25
- New Student Tours – 3:30 pm
- 4th Grade Little Red Schoolhouse Trip – Heintzelman – morning and Newman – afternoon
- Friday, May 26 – 4th Grade Little Red Schoolhouse Trip – Craig – morning and Bonus – afternoon
- Monday, May 29 – No School due to Memorial Day
- Thursday, June 1 – Evening Talent Show – Time: TBD
- Friday, June 2 – Field Day
- Monday, June 5
- Student Council meeting-8:15 LMC
- Field Day rain date
- BOE meeting – 7:00 pm